The reality of the internet is that it has built a culture of sharing opinions, values and thoughts. Whether they are positive or negative, these opinions are critical to your company’s image, reputation, and ultimately its success.
Now more than ever, the power of opinion-shaping is in the customers’ hands. Therefore, effective businesses today understand that is not enough to provide quality services, but it is important to engage their customer base and encourage sharing of their customers’ opinions.
Comments and review sections are great for customer experience sharing, but it is important to understand they can also be extremely damaging. So you must be ready to act to address negative comments and criticism. These should always be addressed, quickly resolved, and never ignored.
To protect your digital footprint and maintain a positive image, be sure to regularly check:
- Social Media Accounts: It is important to do some level of social media monitoring and sentiment analysis. This is the easiest way to understand what is going on with your brand, your competitors and what people are voicing about your business. When you do get positive feedback, share it! Positive comments, reviews, and testimonials should be leveraged!
- SEO: Regularly search for your business on search engines and see what people are saying on review sites and blogs. Be sure to take action in an appropriate, yet prompt manner on any and all unflattering remarks you may come across.
- Other resources:
- Google Alerts: Google Alerts are a great way to be notified of any content related to your brand. Receive emails when new results are found – such as articles, blogs, research, websites and other terms that match your specific search term.
- Yext: Yext makes it easy for companies to make location-based information/listings on multiple websites from one single place.
- Hootsuite: Hootsuite’s streams allow you to set up dashboards of real-time mentions of your brand. Good or bad, it provides you with information for staying up-to-date and ready for action.
- Complaint Websites: A great way to search complaint websites is this search tool. Use this helpful tool to explore new and existing complaints about your brand from their vast collection of sources.
It is important to understand that with online reputation management you are not just protecting your business from the past, but preparing for the future. Use this as a stepping stone to drive new business and positive reputation going forward.