There is perhaps no greater change on the horizon for search marketing then personalization and the end of the monolithic set of search results. Chris Sherman calls it the biggest change to come to search in the next 18 months.
"It's going to change everything, and I don’t think most search marketers will realize how big an impact it will have. Gord Hotchkiss has written some great columns on the coming impact of personalization on search results for SEL, and as good as his analysis is, he’s just scratching the surface of this massive sea change.”
Google is already moving in this direction and we can expect the other engines to follow. For search marketers here are some quick links to some recent articles about personalization and the possible implications for search marketing.
Google - The original announcement on the Google blog about changes in the personalization sign-up process.
Danny Sullivan looks at Google's announcement about default settings for personalized search.
Gord Hotchkiss interviews Marissa Mayer from Google about the impact of personalized search on the user experience and provides additional commentary
Gord Hotchkiss interviews Matt Cutts from Google about the impact of personalized search on search engine marketing and optimization. Gord provides additional commentary.
Out of My Gord
- Gord Hotchkiss' original post on personalization and it's possible implications for search marketing
- A follow up post on how personalization might impact SEO in particular
- Yet another post that immediately followed up Google's announcement about the changes in the sign-up process
- The full interview with Marissa Mayer and Gord Hotchkiss
- The full interview with Matt Cutts and Gord Hotchkiss
If you have suggestions for additional resources, please email your recommendations for evaluation by a member of our Education Committee. Please read our submission guidelines before submitting.