- Can anyone join SEMPO, and what types of companies and individuals belong to your organization?
Anyone with an interest in Search Marketing and a desire to help further the industry can join SEMPO. This includes Search Marketing firms, individuals performing a Search Marketing rule within their company, freelance marketers, software vendors, industry analysts, consultants, students, educators, and members of the general public.
- Why should I join SEMPO?
The most common reason current members have joined has been to influence the future growth of the SEM industry. Additionally, members join because they want to increase the profile of Search Engine Marketing firms and Search Engine Marketing itself. Membership with SEMPO also offers valuable benefits such as exclusive access to research, discounts for the SEMPO Institute, discounts for industry events, the ability to post job listings and resumes on SEMPO’s Job Board, Service Requests, Speakers Bureau, a listing in our online Member Directory, local networking opportunities, social media groups, etc.
- Are there any wrong reasons for joining SEMPO?
Membership in the organization is not a certification of any kind, so please make this consideration before supporting SEMPO through membership.
- What benefits do SEMPO members receive?
SEMPO often reevaluates the benefits offered to its members to ensure relevancy and to keep up with the organization’s growth. As the organization matures, the offerings from third parties increase and we are happy to relay those to our membership. Some examples of benefits are:
- Directory Listing: One of the most popular areas of the SEMPO website is the Member Directory. Visitors to the site can find local search marketers in any city, state, and country. SEMPO members may write a custom description and link to their website along with other contact information. Circle members may have four external links and 20 office address listings, each of which is searchable in the directory.
- Discounts: Members can receive discounts on SEMPO Institute courses, conferences and industry events, subscriber sites, and subscriptions. All discounts are listed on the members-only part of the web site.
- Service Requests: The organization receives many emails from companies looking for SEO/SEM services. SEMPO’s site includes a "Request Services” function on the home page that lets non-members request the services of SEMPO members. Any one can post, and only SEMPO members can respond.
- Job Board: The Job Board is for SEMPO members and sponsors to post jobs that are available in their company or to post their availability to offer services. Anyone reading the job list can contact that company regarding the employment opportunity.
- Member and Committee Meetings: Informational meetings that give members an opportunity to mingle with other members, sponsors, and industry analysts.
- Local Working Groups: SEMPO's number of local working groups is ever-increasing worldwide. Each group was formed by SEMPO members who recognized the need for a forum to discuss the local issues they face with search, network, share ideas, and promote the awareness of search in their area.
- Speakers Bureau: This serves as a resource for those seeking qualified speakers to present search engine marketing topics. The Speakers Bureau contains profiles of SEMPO members only - people actively participating in the world of internet marketing.
- Do you rank your members or give referrals?
It is SEMPO’s policy to not rank our members or give referrals. If you are looking for a SEMPO member to provide services, please visit our Member Directory to do a customized search. We also offer a networking service called Request Services. You can submit information about the services you are looking for, via an online form, and the SEMPO members who are interested will contact you directly.
- Can I upgrade my membership after I’ve joined?
Absolutely. You can upgrade your membership at any time during your annual membership term, and your dues payment for that upgrade will be prorated. You are also welcome to upgrade your membership during your annual renewal.
- How can I network with other SEMPO members?
Being involved with one of SEMPO’s committees, working groups, or task forces is the best way for you to network with other members - this includes our local working groups. SEMPO also hosts meetings and networking gatherings during many industry events globally.
- Do you have local chapters?
SEMPO does have a number of local working groups across the globe, which our members are welcome to be an active part of. Join your local search peers to network, increase awareness of search locally, share ideas, and address the issues that may be unique to your region.
- Why are only some of your Circle members listed on SEMPO’s homepage?
To ensure the equitable display of the Circle members on SEMPO's homepage, those members' names are visible on a rotating basis. The list of displayed Circle member names changes each time your browser is refreshed.
- Can my company have more than one address listed in the Member Directory?
SEMPO’s Circle members are able to list up to 20 addresses in their membership profile, which will display in the Member Directory and will appear in region specific searches.
SEMPO’s Job Board
- Can I post a job on your site if I’m not a member?
Posting a job listing on SEMPO’s site is a benefit that is reserved for SEMPO members only. There are no exceptions. For information about how to join SEMPO, please click here or contact us.
- Can I join at the Individual level to post a position for my company?
You cannot join SEMPO as an Individual member to post company jobs. The Individual level of membership is reserved for individuals, students, educators, consultants,rule proprietor SEMs, and SEM professionals outside of marketing companies. At this level, the membership is listed under the individual’s name and not the company’s. Recruiters, human resources representatives, and hiring managers must be Corporate members in order to post company jobs.
- Once I am a SEMPO member, is there a fee for job postings and is there a limit to how many jobs we can post?
Once you are a SEMPO member there is no fee for job postings and there is no limit to the number of listings you can post. The ability to utilize SEMPO’s Job Board is one of your membership benefits and we encourage you to take advantage of the valuable resource.
- Which member company representatives are able to post jobs?
There are two classifications of SEMPO member user accounts that allow the administrative access to post jobs: Primary Contact and Human Resources. If your company’s Primary Contact needs to be changed, or if you need your user account status to be changed to Human Resources, please contact us for assistance.
- Can I post my resume on SEMPO's site?
Yes, any SEMPO member with a user account is welcome to post their resume on SEMPO's Job Board. To do so, click on Jobs>Admin Login>Post a Job. Be sure to select "Job Wanted" under the "Job Type" field. If you are unable to login to the Job Board, please contact us assistance.
- When was SEMPO founded?
SEMPO was officially founded at its inaugural meeting at Search Engine Strategies (SES) San Jose in August of 2003.
- What is SEMPO's legal status?
SEMPO is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization; Federal Tax ID #14-1891138. The organization is a 501(c)(6) chartered in the state of Delaware.
- How was the name SEMPO chosen?
The name SEMPO stands for Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization. Christine
Churchill, a member of the founding SEMPO Board of Directors,
created the name and the rest of the Board voted to make the name official in
- Is SEMPO a standards body for the SEM industry?
SEMPO is not a standards body or a policing organization. Membership in or involvement with SEMPO is not a guarantee of a particular firm's capabilities, nor does it signify industry approval or disapproval of their practices.
- I have seen the SEMPO logo used on different web sites. What does placement of this logo mean?
SEMPO intends for its logo to be used by active-status members as a way to show their support of the organization and its mission. The use of the logo is not meant to signify any type of industry certification.
If you've seen the SEMPO logo used along with language to suggest that a firm has somehow gained some type of certification, please contact us, so that we can maintain continuity across the membership body.
- Are meetings of the SEMPO Board of Directors open to the public?
Board of Directors Meetings are not open to the public. In accordance with the bylaws, voting members may inspect the minutes for a purpose reasonably related to such member’s interest.
- How are Board of Director decisions communicated to the membership?
Members are kept informed about SEMPO news, initiatives, and benefits via dedicated email blasts, postings on www.sempo.org, and our newsletter. We also host a meeting at an industry event at least once per year to relay information about the organization’s initiatives, budget, membership, and other relevant news.
- How can I get a seat on the Board of Directors?
SEMPO’s Directors serve two-year terms and are elected by the membership. Each SEMPO member is welcome to run for a Board seat during the election period, regardless of their membership level.
- Who elects the Board of Directors?
SEMPO’s Board consists of 13 volunteers – all SEMPO members. There is a Board election every two years, with the candidates being nominated and voted for by SEMPO's membership. Officers are then elected by the new Board in a separate vote - the officers serve one-year terms.
If you have additional questions, please contact us.