Online Florist Increases Sales Tenfold Through SEM
Apogee Web Consulting
Plantrex Flower Shop had been online since 1998 with little traffic and few sales. In March 2002, they asked for help improving and then marketing their site.
- Make site useable and search engine friendly in time for Mother's Day 2002.
- Expand online advertising efforts to position the company to maximize Mother's Day 2003 sales.
The plantrex.com website was redesigned and optimized in April 2002, in time for Mother's Day. An initial PPC (pay per click) ad campaign was launched in October 2002 using one search engine. This proved so successful that a much larger PPC campaign was undertaken in December 2002. New search engines and shopping engines were added each month. Concurrently, an SEO (search engine optimization) project was initiated because new pages were added to plantrex.com as product lines were expanded and seasonal products rotated in. Traffic and sales were analyzed and PPC engines that were not yielding quality results were dropped. Existing PPC ads were tweaked and new keywords added every few weeks.
- Traffic jumped 12,833% in 12 months
- Plantrex hired staff even as the economy faltered
- Year-over-year sales increased more than tenfold
As of June 2004, plantrex.com is ranked in the top 100,000 sites on the internet by ranking.com and in the top 20 for the shopping/flowers category. Due to ongoing, comprehensive search engine marketing, the site currently handles over 1500 unique visitors per day.
Apogee Web Consulting LLC