Case Study: Sports Trading Cards Company
Editor’s Note: Prime Visibility’s client has requested its name not be disclosed, but has allowed the use of its success metrics for the purposes of this Case Study.
Prime Visibility’s client operates a Yahoo! store that sells sports and non-sport trading cards and memorabilia directly to the public. Among the products sold by the client are Yu-Gi-Oh cards, which have become the latest collecting craze for children since Pokemon. Yu-Gi-Oh has been on the Lycos Top 50 search terms for the last 38 weeks (50.lycos.com/)
The Website was not receiving substantial traffic from the search engines. As a small business, it lacked a budget for aggressive advertising in a competitive marketplace. In addition, the company had previously engaged an SEO company that essentially achieved search engine rankings by paying to be listed in Overture’s pay per click advertising results. Since the site was developed using Yahoo’s proprietary shopping cart system, there were some technical limitations in properly optimizing the site for the search engines.
To increase the amount of qualified visitors, Prime Visibility implemented a comprehensive strategy for this company that included researching the appropriate relevant keywords and phrases that would produce targeted traffic for the Website. We implemented search engine optimization techniques such as creating new title tags, meta tags and ALT tags as well as wrote search engine friendly sales copy. Prime Visibility also submitted the site to the Yahoo! and DMOZ directories and advised the client on proper link building strategies. Prime Visibility™ regularly keeps the client current on the latest keyword trends.
- Within the first six months of the campaign, the number of monthly visitors to the site increased 938%.
- Site saw a 323% increase in sales in December 2002 compared to December 2001 (the best month prior to optimization)
- As a result of Prime Visibility’s search engine positioning efforts, this Website acquired an incremental 800,000 visitors during the first 10 months of the campaign.
- The company sold more then 10,800 items during this same 10 month period; 3,800 items were sold during the 2002 holiday season alone (November and December).
- The average number of orders placed per month on the site after optimization increased over 1000%
- The client was able to successfully take advantage of the huge demand for Yu-Gi-Oh cards as a result of Prime Visibility’s efforts. The site has received over 82,000 visits solely from Inktomi-powered search engines for Yu-Gi-Oh related keyword phrases. Eight of the top 10 most popular products sold by the client were Yu-Gi-Oh related.